Charles,
I agree what you say about SMIL.
Here is an article I wrote in April..

video playlists are always on my mind too.... so obviously smil is a solution for this.  smil is very easy to learn too.  as i mentioned in another recent thread here, i added smil playlists to vlogdir.... basically an RSS-TO-SMIL feature.
here is a fun one with about 30 short VJ style videos:
http://vlogdir.com/vlog/index.php?op=Template&show=smil&feedurl=http://mjukma.free.fr/patchouli/rssitunes.php

quicktime smil can be a little unstable but most of the time, as long as the media is not huge, you can have a smooth experience watching a video playlist.

i'm looking forward to xspf and sent videolan a feature request...and it turns out they already have plans to support xspf in next few version releases.

sull