Three thoughts on the blinkx issue:

[1]
What I wonder is why did two journalists get it so wrong?
Were the journalists complicit or just plain negligent?

If you want to investigate this further, then I would get the
journalists on the record for why they didn't vet some of their
reporting that now appears to be made up out of whole cloth.

[2]
Another point is that according to James Whittaker (the e-mailer to JD
Lasica --
http://www.newmediamusings.com/blog/2005/09/blinkx_a_citize.html),
Blinkx is NOT doing automatic audio transcriptions of material.

They're just using a normal metadata search, and NOT doing anything fancy.

Haven't personally tested this myself, but I'd be really surprised if
they were doing automatic transcriptions of the audio.

[3]
The other thing is the whole murky relationship with Autonomy.

Whittaker suggests that Autonomy is using Blinkx as a front because
their first search engine called Kenjin realeased in 2000 was complete
bunk.

Whittaker, "Maybe Autonomy is deceiving people because they are scared
of a repeat of their first attempt at web search, called Kenjin which
they released in 2000, saying it was going to be the biggest thing ever,
before it was shot down in flames as it didn’t work."

See this CNN review linked in JD's post, "I found that Kenjin did not
work as Autonomy promised."
http://archives.cnn.com/2000/TECH/computing/02/15/kenjin.search.idg/

Hmmm...

-Kent Bye.