>(And to whoever said the webs whole point was to let the user decide
>how to see information

That may have been me. I said something similar, but I think you've
misrepresented what I meant.

>HTML has never let the user dictate how it's parsed.  The web is
>meant to easily interconnect sets of data and let the user decide
>how to travese it ... but it's also meant to allow content
>publishers to easily make that data available in a manner they the
>publisher choose.)

What I was referring to, is that HTML is structural and contextual
mark up, and individual visual user agents (web browsers) are mostly
free to display HTML however they wish. The point being, publishers
provide the data, and the user (or browser) decides how to view it.
Pop-ups arguably fly in the face of this, as they dictate a specific
user interface.

 From the other side, it also breaks standard user interface
guidelines in that it isn't immediately obviously whether a hyperlink
will open in the same window, or in a pop-up window. Windows which
open themselves are also bad UI.

But I don't want this to be a technical discussion, some people seem
to like pop-ups, and some don't, so I'll opt out now...

Regards,
  Richard

--
Vlog: http://www.kashum.com