Tuesday, October 11, 2005, 9:27:53 PM, Rick Feltington wrote:

> Ok...now how would you explain RSS feeds to your
> grandmother in a haiku!

I can never resist a challenge like THAT.

  An RSS feed
  like a personal shopper
  for the world wide web

Personally, I prefer my haiku to convey imagery and feelings of some
sort, so I went for a simile rather than attempt a strict description.

I also have a problem with the way so many people seem to imply that
"subscribing" to an RSS feed means that stuff somehow gets _sent_ to
you. That's rubbish. RSS is _purely_ a "pull" medium. A feed reader
simply asks for a current RSS description from the provider, and then
chooses whether or not to fetch items on your behalf.

The important, real life, destinction here is that the RSS provider
knows essentially nothing about the subscribers. There is no
possibility of RSS "spam", because the provider never sends anything
to subscriber. At any time the subscriber can unsubscribe (without
needing to inform the provider) and will NEVER get any more from that
source.

I'd actually be quite wary of giving my address to the provider of a
"free magazine" (for example), in the same way that I'd be wary of
giving my email address out to a "free email newsletter". I'd be
certain that it would increase the amount of junk mail coming through
my door.

I'm guessing that Grandma would be at least as wary.

--
Frank Carver   http://www.makevideo.org.uk