Greetings,

Aha cheers for the info, tells us even more than the stuff I
previously posted. Hooray that both .mp4 and .mov are supported.

Yes its bad for anybody who hasnt been using .mp4 or mpeg4 in a .mov.

What Im hoping is that there is an upside. It may be that Apple will
want to allow people to make their own videos more easily. Encoding to
the right format might end up being built into itunes. Maybe people
wouldnt have to buy quicktime pro then. And certainly it can only
serve to increase the number of PC softwares that support .mp4 or .mov
or both.

The format wars were always going to be won or lost depending on what
happens with hardware. The format battles can rage on for years on
computers, because its mostly software, and up until now not much
commercial selling of video content. But this stuff is coming of age
now, so its time for things to get simplified in brutal ways:

But when this stuff filters down to the mass electronics hardware
market, the battles tend to end more definitively. VHS vs Betamax,
there could be only 1 long-term.

One of the chief problems with WMV format is that Microsofts history
causes a lot of potential hardware partners to feel intimidated.
Microsoft has wanted to take over the livingroom with internet and
media center boxes for years. So far it hasnt gone the way theyd like
at all, same with mobile phones to a certain extent.

So now we have 2 likely popula portable hardware devices with large
corporations to market them. The PSP and the new iPod. Both use mpeg4,
 but Apples implementation sounds better than Sony. I hope this move
by Apple forces Sony to raise its game and sort out stupid issues
fwith mpeg4 compatibility on its devices.

Steve of Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Bergeron