On 10/13/05, Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 01:06:37 +0200, Josh Leo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> i don't understand why you are shooting for these obcene compression
> sizes...a usual 5 mb/sec is good....you need broadband to watch videos
> online anyway, so why do you compress yours to the level where the
> quality
> is bad?

Is the quality bad at 20KB/sec 3ivx? I think it looks pretty good, and
it's certainly great to have the videos load 4 times as fast.

Don't forget that there's a great difference compressing a moving head against a static background vs. a lot of fast-paced action. I agree that FutureMedia's 1MB/min is good enough for it's use (mostly talking heads). But let us agree about that diversion is a good thing, let people choose what works best for them. I constantly hear about people looking for HD content, (HD is new to people from Norway, and I guess Europe in general) I'm pointing at some of the HD vlogs found here in this group. This is people that don't know what a vlog is. Viewing a HD vlog could be a way in for some of them.

But keep in mind this, the Ipod Video's capabilites, mainly MPEG4 at 2.5mbps. This is like 18-19 MB pr. minute, if I'm doing the math right. (And like 5.7MB for H264) Just keep it less than that! :-)

H.264 video: up to 768 Kbps, 320 x 240, 30 frames per sec., Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
MPEG-4 video: up to 2.5 mbps, 480 x 480, 30 frames per sec., Simple Profile with AAC-LC up to 160 Kbps, 48 Khz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats

--
Åsmund Garfors
http://ag.vided.org/