On Oct 13, 2005, at 5:51 PM, Kunga wrote:

> Tiki Bar TV has SEVEN "Episodes" - missing #3. Rocketboom has about
> 250. Who said life was fair? Thanks Josh. My Snapz Pro X recording of
> the presentation crapped out at that exact moment. But I've got a
> still photo if anyone wants it of the menu with "Rocketboom" listed
> and Steve pointing his remote at it. I want my Front Row and I want
> it NOW - ala carte.
>
> By the way, I am almost ready to puke over how the mass media
> interprets what happened yesterday. NBC Today correspondent saying
> this "is a 'test' to see if people will buy videos they have to watch
> on a two and a half inch screen." And Steve saying there is no market
> for video on the go today. So we're going to have to create it." I
> mean this is completely INSANE language they are using.
>
> Let's be clear THIS IS NOT A TEST. You do NOT have to watch videos on
> the 2.5" screen. There IS A GIGANTIC MARKET for video on the go
> today. And Apple is NOT going to have to create it. All Apple is
> doing is providing the solution to a long standing problem. The
> market has been getting PREGNANT with anticipation for years.
> Affordable technology and our new distribution system has just now
> fallen into place. so it's really synergy of pent up demand meeting
> technological advances - not Apple creating a market or doing a test.

"This is Old, therefore it is GOOD.  This is New, therefore it is
BETTER"
-- anonymous

I echo your frustration.

I started this year using cellphones to do LiveWebCasting of OffRoad
Races.  I called it a Test/Prototype ("Technology Pathfinder") to
show the racers/fans/race-sanctioning-bodies what the Technology is
capable of.  In terms of Media-Exposure & Public-Relations, for a
niche-sport lacking live Television & very little Print coverage.

I divided the problem into 3 categories:

A) Technology Program
what I'm doing

*B) Business Program
making business-contacts & following through

*C) Political Program
convincing the "status quo" (who are wasting $$ paying for TV
coverage on an obscure cable-channel), the utility of the
"Alternative Model"=Web/Internet

Basically, my TEST is over.  I've got a lot of positive feedback from
Racers, Fans, & Race Sanctioning-Bodies.

I had no intention of doing this for business (make $$), but I found
that everyone I talked to was treating me like a businessman:

"You told us what you'll do, but not how much it costs"
"How much?"

Frankly, I was so busy testing new devices in between races, I had no
time for B).

I actually talked to someone at a race-sanctioning body, & his
response was:

"most people don't know to use a computer"

I found this statement ridiculous.  I feel that C) is also an
inhibiting factor.
------------

Consider the Man on the Moon achievement.  It only came about after
C) was put into force, via Kennedy's directive.  It came about after
a disaster, where the Russians beat the US into space.  The
Technology & Business was all there.

Consider Electric cars, like the GM EV1.  The politics of "oil-based"
economies & business is interfering.  California HAD a directive, for
X% of vehicles by the year 200? to be XX.  That led to the
development of electric cars by GM & others.  I got a ride in a EV1,
it was incredible. Even *I* was ignorant of the technology.  Then,
politics got rid of that initiative, & the EV1's all ended up in
"crushers"!!  There was an ABC News piece, where EV1 owners were
expressing their outrage.

Consider Space Ship One, the 1st privately funded ship into space.
Burt Rutan & his "maverick" company Scaled Composites.  The
Technology was there, the Business was there (Paul Allen & now
Richard Branson).  Burt Rutan hates NASA:

"NASA is screwing us"

JPL is laying 300+ workers, because of some idiotic plan to goto the
Moon ("Been there, done that") that came from a politician.

http://www.nasawatch.com/archives/2005/10/jpl_layoff_upda.html