Thanks for the post Andrew. I should have raised the issue in a nice
way, but I can be a git sometimes.

Anyway the file does play on windows, in many different ways:

Quicktime 7
Nero Showtime
VLC
Windows media player (& any other directshow-codec-supporting video
app) via installation of some h264 support thats too complicated to
explain now.

The average windows user may not have any of the above options
available to them right now, but it bodes well for the future that
people arent limited to quicktime as the only playback solution.

I dont know if it works on the ipod, I havent got one yet, but if its
been encoded with main profile, rather than baseline, then it wont.

The PSP is a pig for compatibility. As well as the normal resolution
restraints, the file format is slightly non-standard (hence qt encoded
h264 wont work), the framerate must be listed as 30 in the video file
(even if the real framerate is different, then this causes audio-video
snc issues) and also filename issues. After changing the filename of
rb oct 21, it still didnt play on the PSP v2. How did you encode?

When it comes to issues with PSPs <v2 not playing h264, yeah thats an
additional complication for sure. I wonder what proportion of PSP
users are intot he hackss and homebrew, here in the UK the PSP shipped
with v2 firmware so theres probably less people with 1.5 here. I
originally assumed youd be offering normal mpeg4 and h264, I think I
hoped for this because rocketboom has done such a good job of
supporting multiple formats throughout its first year, so take it as a
compliment that I was dissapointed.

Its certainly possible to crate a h264 file that will play on the Mac,
PC and PSP. I am unsure at this stage whether a PSP-compatible h264
file can alo be made to work on the ipod, it depends if the additional
sony atom structures that the PSP requires, causes incompatibility
with video ipod. And whether baseline/main profile differences between
the 2 devices scupper this plan.

As for the playback performance of h264, yes its intensive. Its most
likly that both the PSP and the ipod use a seperate decoder chip to
handle h264, and thats why software-only decoding is struggling on
older computers and handheld devices in comparison.

I will post some details of my PSP encoding experiences using both a
PC and mac in the coming days.

Cheers

Steve of Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "ecomputerd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>