--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, jean_poole <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> here's a piece I wrote for a street press mag recently, trying to
> encourage some more cross-over and/or dialogue between the quite
> vibrant VJ & videoblogging scenes... am sending to both the eyecandy
> & videoblogging lists too, as well as posting at a few forum sites,
> and up@ www.skynoise.net so we'll see if it generates some more cross-
> fertilising?
> jp
>
> Open Call to Video Bloggers & VJs : Get Jiggy
> Despite all the creative aspirations and technical skills they share,
> there's surprisingly little overlap between the huge populations of
> VJs & video bloggers.
>
> Nurturing mutual status as pixel underdogs, both VJs & video bloggers
> are adept at dealing with low or non-existent budgets, and both
> champion storytelling and/or aesthetics and visual ideas over
> production values. That's not to say production values are ignored -
> in fact, production values probably tie up more than their fair share
> of discussion time in either community, but a key defining aspect of
> being a VJ or videoblogger is the joy of just of being able to get
> those pixels out there.
>
> While all this pre-supposes you have compelling video / stories /
> pixels to begin with, at least the current state of video play helps
> level the media playing field to some degree. And the current
> expansion of mobile video ( phones, PSP, video iPods & many other
> handhelds ), continues this window of opportunity for bedroom
> pixelists. And to think of a hybrid army of these pixelists, loaded
> up with the combined skillsets of the VJ & VideoBlogging massive, is
> to imagine a continually more diverse and decentralised media. So
> let's bring it on.
>
> What can Video Bloggers learn from VJs?
> VJs know how to move pixels in real-time. Whether responding to
> music, or creating live audiovisual pieces, VJs are at home using
> real-time editing tools, allowing easy compositing, layering,
> sequencing and effects on the fly. Aside from live performance
> though, the 'instrumentness' of these real-time tools means they are
> also very effective and flexible video production tools. Creativity
> can be given a new leash when freed from the constraints of the
> rendering timeline, and levels of complexity can be explored
> spontaneously that would take a long time to build up to with
> traditional video editing software. And VJ software is especially
> suited to online video publishers, because both VJs & VideoBloggers
> tend to use 320 x 240 sized clips ( the bloggers because it's a
> default multimedia size compromise for bandwidth concerns, the VJs
> because it's a compromise between resolution and allowing the
> speediest real-time triggering and manipulation).
>
> VJs also have extensive knowledge about how to get projections
> happening, whether on a screen in a club, theatre, projecting from a
> rooftop, mobile van, shopping trolley, or even the side of a train.
> [...]

VJ Falk gives a thoughtful response to Jean Poole's "Open Call for
Collaboration between VJ&Videobloggers" (
http://www.skynoise.net/2005/10/27/open-call-to-video-bloggers-vjs-ge...
) on the need for content in vjblogging to challenge TV and Cinema:

http://www.prototypen.com/blog/falk/archive/001356.html

  -- Enric