Im certain there will soon be a very large number of software tools
that convert dvd or other video files to .mp4's of various kinds.

It started to happen once the PSP was out, the ipod is furthering the
increase in mp4-capable software.

On both the PC and Mac, we'll end up with an array of free (but often
fiddley) tools, plenty of $30ish tools, some more pro offerings around
the $99 mark, as well as many more existing applications including mp4
import and export options.

Beware that at this early stage of the game, there is some confusion
with some of the ipod guides and softwares available. Some dont make
it clear whether they create older mpeg4 or h264, and more than one
tool was released that makes the wrong kind of h264 for the ipod,
despite claiming to support the ipod. These issues will largely be
sorted quite quickly, but my advise for anybody who doesnt need to be
looking at ipod encoding right this minute, waits a little while
before spending $, we are still in an early and fast-changing stage of
ipod video software.

Steve of Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Bergeron