On Oct 31, 2005, at 5:55 PM, Christopher Ivanyi wrote:

> My question to you -- my challenge to you would be, to stop vlogging
> altogether.  If you don't need an audience, and you vlog in order
> achieve the pleasure of having done them, and you don't need the
> validation of an audience -- then just stop making them.  This goes
> for all vloggers out there, especially the more popular vloggers!
> Just stop making vlogs.

Look, in my life, I have created all kinds of art.  Some things I've
created have antagonized an audience and begged to be disliked - I
was once shouted off stage, I didn't leave, then someone unplugged my
equipment.  Some things I've created defied interpretation by using
language and images who's only significance is locked in my mind
alone - the audience was understandably indifferent to this kind of
work.  After 15 years of this, if I NEEDED an audience, you'd think
I'd have quit.  I haven't quit because even more than enjoying being
an artist, "artist" is something that compels me to be.  It's as
natural and necessary as breathing and eating.

> Or ask yourself this, what would happen if in the course of vlogging
> your audience stats diminished daily until not one person clicked onto
> one of your movies.  But you faithfully posted movies nonetheless.  At
> a certain point wouldn't you ask yourself, what's the point?

50 weeks ago I started a new blog and added video to it as an
experiment because I'm always experimenting.  That's what I do.
Here's my initial post:
http://michaelverdi.com/index.php/2004/11/15/the-game/
My experiment hasn't turned out the way I thought it would.  Almost
all of my goals set out in that first post are completely irrelevant
to me now.  But it's been one of the most amazing years of my life so
far.  And the most important lessons that I've learned have nothing
to do with how many people are watching my videos and everything to
do with what happens when you give of yourself fully, without
reservations, solely for the pleasure of doing it.

George Bernard Shaw gives me goose bumps every time I read his quote:
This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized
by yourself as a mighty one; the being a force of nature instead of a
feverish, selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining
that the world will not devote itself to making you happy.

I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community, and
as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.

I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the
more I live. I rejoice in life for its own sake. Life is no "brief
candle" for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold
of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible
before handing it on to future generations.

Verdi
--
Me: http://michaelverdi.com
R&D: http://graymattergravy.com