Bill Streeter wrote:
I would agree on a very general level. It's true that technically the
medium itself does not determine a stories truthfulness. But some of
those media are layered with a bureaucratic infrastructure that makes
the truth harder to get out in some cases. Sometimes what is not
reported is as important as what is reported. For instance, there is
such a thing as a lie by omission and it happens all the time in
traditional media. And more often than not it's not the reporters
fault but the system within they work that makes the lie possible.

Exactly. This is not about computer screens vs. sheets of newsprint. It's about the social structure of journalism vs. direct, first-hand reporting. I suppose if someone prefers the rough edges of reality be smoothed into a family-friendly safety that is easily comprehended by high school freshmen and completely unchallenging to the advertisers, governments, and social class controlling the news organs, they will defend Big Journalism as comparable to the blogs which provide pure source information. I took some people recently to a vegetarian Asian fusion restaurant and they poked skeptically at their plates, and pined for the familiarity of McDonalds. Some people long for what is raw and real and true, others prefer processed byproducts and Red Number 5.

Individual Fireant Use