I'm not jumping on the h.264 bandwagon just yet. Yes QT7 is
available for Windows users but that's just a small part of the
equation. First I know Windows users that have had QT and had issues
with it and removed it. I dunno what these issues were or how they
came about, but those are some of the reports I'm getting. Second,
h.264 takes a lot of processing power to decode. So a person using a
slightly older slower computer won't be able to play it back. I've
tested this myself and it's a real issue.

And yes 3vix is MP4 and more importantly iPod compatible. I've seen
my movies encoded with 3vix played back on iPods so I'm pretty
confident that anything that will play MP4s will play a movie
encoded with 3vix.

Bill Streeter
LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
www.lofistl.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "wazman_au" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I think there's little point in holding out against QT7 and H.264.
> If people are prompted to install it to watch a vid, most people
> WILL install it. And it's out for both Mac and Windows.
>
> The advantages of H.264 in quality and compression are pretty
> compelling. I've posted compression settings elsewhere on this
list
> that achieve about 1.5-2MB/minute in H.264 and the result is a
very
> watchable video ... superior to anything I could achieve with the
> still-admirable 3ivx. Contact me off-list if you want my settings.
>
> So far I've only had one person complain about not being able to
> watch because he/she can't install QT7.
>
> Another thing I've been wondering ... is 3ivx _really_ a unique
> codec, or is it just a plugin that gives access to MPEG4 settings
> that QT and other programs normally don't let you tweak? The
reason
> I ask is that a viewer doesn't have to install a 3ivx codec to
watch
> it.
>
> Waz
> www.crashtestkitchen.com
>

> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Ridley
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure about your compression figuers, but QT7 is now
> available for
> > Windows. Also vlc (http://www.videolan.org) has experimental
> support for
> > H.264 although I guess that's not really ready for prime time by
> definition.
> >
> > -m
> >
> > On 11/9/05, Will <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >  After numerous attempts of trying different compression
> settings an
> > > codecs - I ended up
> > > with a with a 19.8 mb file that was 5 minutes long. This works
> out to
> > > about 4mb/minute. I
> > > was wondering if this is a common size for a file this long?
Is
> there any
> > > stats out there on
> > > what kind of compression ratios vodcasters are using?
> > >
> > > My final version was compressed using 3ivx - dual pass. I had
> orginally
> > > had the size down to
> > > 11 mb using h.264 with the same quality but I discovered that
> only QT 7
> > > could play this -
> > > which ruled out a lot users.
> > >
> > > BTW - any windows users that couldn't see the inaugural
version
> of tiny
> > > tube because of the
> > > QT7 can now view it.
> > >
> > > Will
> > > http://www.tiny-tube.com

t=ms&k=Individual&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&c=3&s=38&.sig=OHeQJ
> Kby66gg3t35np-qiw>
> > > Fireant<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

t=ms&k=Fireant&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&c=3&s=38&.sig=hK8TfZa7
> ClhTIxDJdP6Cbw>
> > > Use<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

t=ms&k=Use&w1=Individual&w2=Fireant&w3=Use&c=3&s=38&.sig=fljF53rXtnOM