Cheers and welcome, that is good info, thanks for sharing :)

Hope you dont mind if I debate 2 points you made.

Maximim mpeg4 res for ipod is stated by Apple to be 480x480, and it
seems the limit is actually in terms of pixels, you are allowed 230400
pixels.  So resolutions like the following should be supported:

res         aspect ratio
720 x 304 - 2.35:1
624 x 336 - 1.85:1
624 x 352 - 16:9
512 x 384 - 4:3

(I havent actually had time to try these resolutions myself yet though)

The second point is aspect ratios, regarding the way quicktime resizes
DV footage. We had a discussion on this a few weeks ago, and I was all
wrong and confused for a while. The mistake I (and it seems Apple)
made is to forget that DV doesnt use square pixels. So even though the
 horizontal res of DV is 720, thats for rectangular pixels, and the
actual res when displayed using square pixels should be somethign
higher like 768. Anyway this makes Apples resizing maths wrong with
the export to ipod option, and the footage ends up at the wrong aspect
ratio. DV isnt 3:2. But then Im not so good at explaining this because
Im in a PAL part of the world where our DV res is a bit different to
yours, higher vertical resolution (but lower framerate).

Anyway this page probably makes more sense than me, again it is
dealing with PAL rather than NTSC but the square vs rectangular pixels
issue is the same, just slightly different numbers:

http://tinyurl.com/7m9ul

So based on that sort of theory, we were assuming that Apple made a
mistake, NTSC DV footage shouldnt be resized to 320x213, but 320x240.
And therefore best to avoid the 'export to ipod' option in qt703, and
do it the more long-winded way so you can control the resolution
yourself. Though to be honest I think a lot of people are still
avoiding h264 for other compatibility (& encoding time) reasons so
they arent using that option anyway.

Cheers

Steve of Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "flyingchaucer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> I've done some fairly extensive tests on getting video to play on
the new 5G iPods and
> here is  as summary:
>

> Max Frame Size: 480 x 360 (Note the iPod will scale down to 320 x
240 for playback on
> the screen, but will scale up on output to a TV via the cable adapter.
>
> Max Frame Rate: 30
>
> Max Frame Size: 320 x 240. This is a 4:3 ratio. Lots of users are
shooting DV, that is a 3:2
> aspect ratio so what's going to happen when you encode DV movies is
that it will be
> letterboxed on the iPod because the movie will encode to 320 x 213.
The letterboxing is