I only ever made 3 vlogs so I think you maybe confusing me with a
Steve that is more productivein that department.

I value honesty and openness too, Im just saying thats not the same as
demanding it of other people. I also feel dissapointment when people
are not able to be open about whatever subject, but I dont want to
turn that into hate for them. I was just thinking out loud that when
armed with a video camera, some people will go into a slightly more
defensive mode than if it was 'off the record'.

I definately have a problem understanding how a desire for everyone to
embrace being honest about their age matches up with notions about
defeating aging mechanisms via immortality stuff. Is it any less
realistic to pretend youre 10 years younger than to dream of living an
extra 30 years?

In regards to women, I wasnt pulling political correctness on you, I
was trying to ask about the phenomenon, to understand it better, not
defend or promote it.

Anyway I should probably stop talking about this stuff here as its not
too ontopic, except I wouldnt mind hearng peoples experiences of the
effect that sticking a camera in someones face can have. Certainly my
favorite 'snapshots of real life' videoblogs feature people being
unguarded on camera, when I see awkward guarded stuff, it makes me
feel guarded too.

Steve of Elbows

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Randolfe Wicker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Sorry, Steve, I'm a fan of your vlogs but I have to disagree with
your comments.

> "Being honest" begins with the person.  Someone who is defensive
about their age is someone with a badly flawed value system.  I was
hoping Dick Cavett would have told me he was 80 years old and proud of
it!  I guess I was wrong in thinking he was "much" older than myself.
 That doesn't matter.

> We all live in a world in which we are getting older and closer to
death every minute.  Forgive me, but I am an Immortalist (someone who
dreams of defeating aging and living forever).  I value nothing more
than honesty and openness.  When someone asks to "ask a politically
incorrect question" and the subject eagerly says "bring it on" and
then gets defensive..well, that is disappointing.

> I've always thought some of the "proprieties" of our society were
wrong.  They say you never ask how old someone is, what their income
is and what rent they pay.  What is wrong with this world???

> I'm 67 years old.  I have an income of about 25,000 annually and my
rent is $939.10 a month.  What is the big deal???

> I really wanted to ask Dick Cavett if he was working on new projects
and if he was facing age discrimination in doing so.  That would be
significant.  However, his vanity prevented me from going that far.
That is sad!!!

> Women should realize that being open about their age is really a
step toward freedom.  An intelligent, functioning, powerful woman who
is eighty years old really towers over a thirty-five-year-old sex
kitten with limited mental capacity.

> Don't pull this "politically correct" nonsense that one "shouldn't
ask a woman what her age is" on me.  If she is thirty, I know she can
bear children.  if she is forty, I know she is unlikely to do so.
Just realities of age, no prejudice intended.

> I think you young people should embrace a
"lets-be-honest-about-our-age" ethic.  Truth is really always the best
policy.  Cavett actually answered my question (assuming I knew Pearl
Harbor was in 1941 and his being five made 1936 his birth year.  When
I guess his age at 75, he should have shot back at me:  "Are you
crazy?  I'm only 69!  You need glasses because I don't look that old!"

> I would have been chastised correctly in that manner.
>
> Actually, if you see both vlogs, you will see that "old" Dick Cavett
was actually one of the most outspoken and free people there.

> Vloggingly yours,
>
> Randolfe (Randy) Wicker
>
> Videographer, Writer, Activist
> Advisor: The Immortality Institute
> Hoboken, NJ
> http://www.randywickerreporting.blogspot.com/
> 201-656-3280

industry/society?

>   Please forgive me for stating my opinion on this, I couldnt help
>   myself. On reflection I think I have a bone to pick with the whole
>   immortality thing too. As we experience life as self-aware beings with
>   an apparently finite lifetime, and struggle to imagine a world without
>   ourselves (what use is it to me if Im not there? etc), its completely
>   natural to dream of such things I suppose. But I suggest that only in
>   the current age where the resource realities of our world have become
>   so disconnected from the realities we experience each day, can the
>   idea be considered in any way just. Why should the energies of
>   humankind be focussed even partially on keeping those who have
already
>   lived a long life, going for huge and unnaturally extra decades, in a
>   world that does not yet focus enough energy on preventing the deaths
>   of staggering numbers of children every day from disease and
malnutrition?

>   Furthermore I suggest that via the use of fossil fuels, we have
>   already artifically changed the life-support capacity of our planet in
>   a way that will not be sustainable once the oil etc have gone. For
>   every premature death that the industrial revolution has caused, it
>   has also created many systems of support that are in some ways
>   unnatural in their scale, at the very least a large distortion,
>   because we are using up millions of years worth of energy in just a
>   hundred or so years.
>
>   For me the only possible immortality works in a very different way,
>   science never gives me hope for such things, quite the opposite, it is
>   the destroyer of many conforting possible 'phlosophical/spiritual'
>   beliefs relating to the self being immortal.
>
>   It leads me back to age, for time is the answer to me, how we think
>   about time. We are all immortal if time is not seen merely as linear.
>   Sure we experience it in a linear way, but it that it? Do I not always
>   exist in November 2005, typing this message? Think beyond the eternal
>   now and we are all immortal.
>
>   Anyway you in no way deserve this rant, its just the topic got me
>   thinking.
>
>   Steve of Elbows
>
>   --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Randolfe Wicker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>   wrote:
>   >
>   > I think he used "your silly little camera" as an excuse and in an
>   effort to make me insignificant.  Actually,if you read my other posts,
>   he actually answered my question "indirectly" by saying he was five
>   during pearl Harbor--which would make him 69 years old.
>   >
>   > I really dislike people who are "uptight" about their age.  I
>   actually thought he was in his eighties.  Maybe I was wrong.  I guess
>   so.  Why can't "real people" be realistic about their age.  I'm 67 and
>   make no bones about it.  When I'm 80, I still won't make no bones
> [...]
Kasher
>   >     Gallery, 521 W. 23rd St, NYC.  It was sponsored by a 501C group
>   called
>   >     "The Creative Coalition".  Membership costs $250 a year.
However, a
>   >     great art exhibit consisting of body images in video can be
seen for
>   >     free for a few more days.  I suggest you attend.
>   >     >
>   >     > I contacted them a few hours before the event, said I was a
>   vlogger
>   >     (someone who did video and posted it on the Internet) and asked
>   to be
>   >     put on the "list".
>   >     >
>   >     > I held my breath as I checked in downstairs.  My name was
on the
>   >     list and I found myself mixing with the media elite.  Catherine
>   Crier,
>   >     anchor of Court TV, was the moderator.  The panel consisted of
>   >     actor/comedian/writer Richard Belzer (Law & Order:SVU), Time
Blake
>   >     Nelson (Actor, Syiuana, Meet the Fockers, Minority Report, o
>   Brother,
>   >     Where Are Thou?), Dick Cavett (legendary Emmy Award winning talk
>   show
>   >     host) and Bill Devlin (a born-again Christian with enough
sense to
>   >     stay in the Democratic Party whom I had once debated on the
issue of
>   >     human reproductive cloning at Haverford College in
Pennsylvania).
>   >     >
>   >     > Thanks to my good Christian friend, Bill Devlin, I was made
>   aware of
>   >     the event and managed to get "in"--even though there was a
>   notice that
>   >     "press credentials" would be checked. I took a Time Magazine
with my
>   >     picture in it along to flash if I was challenged. It proved not
>   to be
>   >     necessary.
>   >     >
>   >     > I also urged three other vloggers( Jay Dedman, Jonny
Goldstein and
>   >     Adam Quirk) to join me in a vloggers-take-on-the-establishment
>   >     exercise.  Adam was working.  Jay and Jonny never got back
to me.  I
>   >     went alone.
>   >     >
>   >     > I'm always amazed at how thin the "partition" is between the
>   plebian
>   >     world of everyday-vlogger-life and the glittering world of
famous
>   >     celebrities and people with real power.
>   >     >
>   >     > So, there I was in the elite world of "blue activism" (???).
>   There
>   >     was an open bar (always to be avoided) and orderves enough to
>   make you
>   >     feel totally elite.
>   >     >
>   >     > On the walls were ads, fabulous and sexy ads, which you'd
have to
>   >     spend half a lifetime thumbing through magazines to find.  I
never
>   >     knew so many sexy and hot ads existed.  I got to film them all
>   for my
>   >     vlog (or vlogs) about this event.
>   >     >
>   >     > I handed out my pink slips promoting "Join the Media
Revolution"
>   >     with links to Freevlog and this site.  Of course, I plugged
my own
>   >     site and email address at the end.
>   >     >
>   >     > Waiting in line at the bathroom, I gave my pink fliers to two
>   of the
>   >     organizers of the event.  Events on the wall of the gallery
looked
>   >     very "liberal" and "leftist" to me.  No problem there.
>   >     >
>   >     > I joined the audience and stood up against a wall near the
front
>   >     filming the entire event.  It was quite fascinating.  I filmed
>   famous
>   >     people telling stories about famous people...including Dick
Cavet
>   >     talking about how Yoko Ono and John Lennon who sang a song
>   entitled (I
>   >     believe) "Women are the niggers of the world"--and how that
caused
>   >     censorship which he avoided with a lead-in that got more
complaints
>   >     than the song did....etc, etc.
>   >     >
>   >     > Well, after it was all over, I got to "smooze" with the
celebs.  I
>   >     gave Catherine Crier a pink flier and told her that "vlogging
>   was the
>   >     new revolution" which was bound to raise interesting new legal
>   issues
>   >     in the near future.  At least it got into her purse.
>   >     >
>   >     > Then I turned my camera on Click Cavett, one of my 'old
heroes' of
>   >     television.  I couldn't resist the urge to say:  "Mr.
Cavett, I vlog
>   >     and put my videos on the Internet.  Could I ask you a
'politically
>   >     incorrect' question?"
>   >     >
>   >     > Cavett looked open so I popped the question.
>   >     >
>   >     > "How old are you?" I asked.
>   >     >
>   >     > "How old do you think I am?" Cavett replied.
>   >     >
>   >     > "You're older than me (I'm 67).  You have to be at least 75.
>   (I was
>   >     being kind.  He's in his 80s I suspect)."
>   >     >
>   >     > "Oh, 'you and your silly little camera' (italics mine)" Cavett
>   >     replied and moved on without answering my question.
>   >     >
>   >     > So, tonight one of my 'idols' died.  The man who was always
>   upfront
>   >     and free and who took political correctness to task was 'too
>   >     traditionally' uptight to tell me his real age.  That was really
>   sad,
>   >     for me.
>   >     >
>   >     > Bill Devlin, my Christian friend, who had enabled me to
>   attend, made
>   >     fun of me for being an Immortalist when he realized I was
the fellow
>   >     who had been filming him all evening.
>   >     >
>   >     > It was a great event and I'll be doing a vlog about it.
>   You'll have
>   >     to wait a couple days.
>   >     >
>   >     >
>   >     > Randolfe (Randy) Wicker
>   >     >
>   >     > Videographer, Writer, Activist
>   >     > Advisor: The Immortality Institute
>   >     > Hoboken, NJ
>   >     > http://www.randywickerreporting.blogspot.com/
>   >     > 201-656-3280
>   >     >