Verdi, this is one of the few good parts of working where I do. It's
completely private My speech is more or less unrestricted, although I might
get talked to if I encouraged hate crimes. I can talk about sex, rubbers,
abstinence, drugs, murder - you name it. I get a young woman to talk to my
class about once a week about sex ed and other life issues. I can tell the
kids they are fucking up their lives and use that language. If I have a
problem and need to kick someone out, it's at my discretion. No battery of
parent-teacher conferences or going to higher levels of people above me. If
someone complains to my boss about getting kicked out (yes, it has
happened), I simply tell her what was going on and say that the person is no
longer welcome. I put up with far more than she would, so it's never an
issue.

Of course, we have had all sorts of folks in the class and I have only had
to kick out two or three, one for threatening me and the others for simply
for being too disruptive.

Sorry - I had to share. I hate the idea of being in public schools.

Anybody in the area (Worcester, MA) or passing through want to come and be a
guest speaker for my class?

Carl
http://carlweaver.blogspot.com

Carl Weaver
Photographer
http://www.carlweaver.com

From: Verdi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Free, private blog?

This is my frustration with trying to work inside a school system and
why I don't even try anymore.  It's ridiculous that they think that
young people aren't capable of doing this stuff by themselves without
anyone's permission.  That being the case why try to control it so
much?  Sure, put video and writing on the internet but how can we
keep it private for the kids security?  Have they never heard of
Blogger, LiveJournal, MySpace, Xanga, etc, etc, etc.? The words,
photos, and videos of young people are all over the internet
already.  Who do they think they're protecting?  It's like pretending
that kids aren't having sex and that telling them about birth control
will only promote the idea.  Give me a break.
Verdi

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/lBLqlB/TM