I was listening to the audio presentation Tivo CEO Tom Rogers gave at
DEMXPO and someone asked the question about third party content
providers trying to get stuff on a Tivo (and then on to a television).
Tom's answer:

* in opening up to third parties, Tivo was looking for ways to build
community.

* Rogers believes that broadband will play a big role in Tivo future and
that 25% of Tivo users already have their machines hooked up to a high
speed connection with no encouragement from the company.  He seemed to
be impressed by the number.

* Tivo believes it can be a distributor/aggregator of content for the
television, in a legal way of course.

Toss in the news about Yahoo users being able to view their photo's (I'm
assuming this is Flickr) on a Tivo and it's starting to look like Tivo
is becoming the ultimate media outlet.  Conceivably, individual
podcasters and video bloggers could get in on the action pretty soon. It
wouldn't take that much to make it happen.

If you want to hear Tom's answer in his own words, you can download the
audio file (it's a time index 45:14):

http://www.paidcontent.org/pc/arch/2005_11_30.shtml#052589

If you want a quickie summary of his presentation, I text blogged it
("Tom Rogers On Why Tivo Is Good For Advertising"):

http://www.digitalmerging.la/archives/2005/12/tom_rogers_on_why_tivo_is_good_for_advertising.html

--
Michael Shipp

Blog: digitalmerging - Tech. Media. Convergence.
http://www.digitalmerging.la

Digital Pictures: Pixel Latte
http://www.digitalmerging.net/pixellatte/

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM