First off... Make sure you are plugging your device into the
Microphone Line-in input of your G4.... not the headphone jack.

Go to System Prefs->Sound and select the Input tab, and choose
Microphone Line-in as the input source.

Audacity should now "hear" your input.
I think Powerbooks have a Line-in... iBooks do not and you need to use
something like a Griffin iMic for that (USB Audio Line-in, roughly
$30).

-josh

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM