--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Frank Carver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sunday, December 4, 2005, 2:47:21 PM, Nerissa (TheVideoQueen) wrote:
> >   Why the "LET PEOPLE PICK A CATEGORY" argument will fail:
> >   Not everyone will tag their videos correctly ...
> >   And what about the ambiguous videos? ...
>
> Definately.
>
> >   POSSIBLE SOLUTION #1:
> >   Let your community regulate itself and ban members for
> > misbehaving. Use the Craigslist.org model. Allow your visitors to
> > "flag" the posts.
>
> This solution will work, but only in the way that it will
>
> >   POSSIBLE SOLUTION #2:
> >   Restrict adult category to a separate category requiring
> > different service agreements and viewership agreements.
>
> What worries me about both these approaches is that (despite your
> mention of "ambiguous videos" above) they both assume that (a) the
> only thing people are concerned with is "porn",

I don't see that assumption.  This is to deal with an issue that has
come up recently in several places related to videoblogs.  Other
issues can be dealt with seperately.  Because one issue like porn or
violence, etc. is dealt with does not exclude dealing with other
issues seperately.

>and (b) that somehow
> there is an objective definition of what "porn" is.

A determination does not have to be 100% correct to be useful.  99% or
even as low as 90% determination can often be more useful than no
determination.  If the FDA determines that a drug that kills 3% of
it's users should be banned even though it's useful for 97% of the
others, it can still be a valid determination.

> Neither of these assumptions really hold up in the wider context of
> a global internet and varying world cultures.

Should cannabilism films be allowed because some cultures had or have
that practice?

I do think that predetermining a video as adult by the hosting owner
or a proxy is a good method as long as appeal is allowed.  If people
are looking to put up porn, there are locations that specificaly host
them.

  -- Enric
  ========
  http://www.cirne.com