I bought a Sennheiser MKE300 several years ago for $180. I'd rather have an ME-66 (which is more like $700 with a great windscreen + shock-mount), but for the money, I'd buy this mike again.

It mounts on top of the camera (I needed an extension to keep it out of the lens). It's got a 1/8" plug on the cable, And the cable is super short to prevent interference. It only weighs 2 oz, and comes with a windscreen that doubles as padding for travel. It runs off a little watch battery -- so the trick is to always remember to turn the mic off (or you have a dead battery). It's not the best Sennheiser makes -- clearly -- it's made or plastic, not metal... but it's WAY WAY better than the on-camera mic, with a lot of the same advantages (it's attached to the camera, it's small and light, etc).

< URL:http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=47031&is=REG&addedTroughType=search >

jen

jenSimmons
http://www.emergingawareness.org