It's crazy teaching in such a technology heavy world. Something always goes wrong for someone + it's a total judgment call as to have mercy 'cause you know they are working hard and just having bad luck... or if they are reaching for the easiest excuse. Today someone said I couldn't post 'cause my whole drive got erased. Other times students have shown up with their projects on videotape, pop the tape into the deck, and the whole thing is black -- did they not learn the part of class where we went over how to print to tape? did the deck really malfunction? or did they just figure, "hey I'll show up with a blank tape and look surprised and I'll beg for an extension"... it's always a hard judgment call. I tell everyone 16 times, look, everyone has technical problems, so don't wait til the last minute, and do always test your project... but then, I do show mercy too.

harder is when I show up for class to present something and the server that something is on is down or the internet connection / computer / projector that I was planning on using is down (all three have happened repeatedly). Improvisation is key!

it's just weird when I tell students "no mercy! no excuses!" and then the technology fails me too!!!

jenSimmons
http://www.emergingawareness.org
http://www.inclinationsthemovie.com
http://www.jensimmons.com