I was once a professional sfx editor and now teach audio production.

For people who want a more audio app with professional editing and routing
options the open source software Ardour (www.ardour.org) for Linux and OSX
is getting to a very competitive stage of development.

It is almost akin to a native ProTools without post production features. Its
an advanced DAW so not for the light hearted.

For those who don't know what this means briefly - it works on a metaphor of
a mixer and a multitracktape/playlist that allows you to 'insert' fx plug
ins or dynamic processing (EQ, Compression, Gates) inline or to split signal
using an auxillary send (from before or after the fader) to another channel
called an auxillary and have dynamic control over how much signal goes
where. That is the short version!

For those interested in editing for video I still think that Pro Tools and
its proprietary hardware offers the best value for money Starting with the
Mbox2 or an mAudio firewire interface with ProTools mPowered. But it is a
steep learning curve for the unintiated.

FYI : Avid own Digidesign who make Pro Tools and also have recently
purchased mAudio - they are undeniably the 'industry standard' for music and
postproduction facilities)

Both Cacophony and Audactiy make for good simple alternatives for those who
don't require advanced multitracking and routing.

If there are people interested I can write more on sound (and music) for
video/videoblogging at what ever level is requested.

Cheers

Mat.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/KIlPFB/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM