JD Lasica wrote:

> It may be that I'm in an unforgiving mood from two straight days of
> downpours, but I laid into a NY Times writer today for suggesting that
> that the only video available for his video iPod comes from Hollywood.
> Anything else you can find online must come from "stealing."
>
> http://www.newmediamusings.com/blog/2005/12/free_video_isnt.html
>
> Free video isn't stealing. Maybe if we repeat it enough times, the
> message will sink in.
>
> jd lasica
> http://www.newmediamusings.com

Professionals working for media entities that have been around hundreds
of years are going to find it hard to accept that their system isn't the
only way to do things, since it basically has been the only way for as
long as anyone can remember.  It seems that some professional
journalists have been able to grok and get behind new media ideals, but
for the most part they look only at the amount of content that is mainly
drivel and assume it's *all* useless drivel.  Tools are being written
which will hopefully allow the best of the video content to float to the
top, and then maybe we can start getting the recognition that Hollywood
isn't the only place good content comes from.

Part of new media is that good content is the exception rather than the
rule, and what people are failing to realize is that it's the same way
with old media.  However, old media has done an excellent job of
assuming if you hide behind the NY Times brand or the CNN brand or the
Washington Post brand that you must be a top notch reporter who has
researched all his/her facts and you are presenting an accurate
representation of the facts, but the awful truth is that that just isn't
the case.  Reporters are lazy as we've all seen.  They will mindlessly
repeat what other reporters have written, accurate or not.  We have as
much work convincing the public that everyone should be somewhat
skeptical of everything they read and watch instead of allowing places
like the NY Times to convince them that they are indeed the lock on the
truth as we do convincing them that new media, blogs, podcasts and vlogs
are worth reading, listening to and watching.

Good post, JD.

Clint

--
Clint Sharp
New Media Guy & Technologist

We are the media.

Most low income homes are not online. Make a difference this holiday season!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/5UeCyC/BWHMAA/TtwFAA/lBLqlB/TM