   Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 19:06:56 -0500
   From: WWWhatsup <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Re: The Best Codec

I've actually used pretty much the same spec of real for
the last 5 years on punkcast, for much the same reasons that
you mention. I give the link for the BBC download page, which
gives a pretty junk-free free install.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/audiohelp_install.shtml

I'm not interested in embedded video, however, I'm looking for the
lean-back experience, for streaming or download.

Particularly, for non qt-pro owning i-mac users, real was the
most practical free way of giving them full screen video bar M$,
I have experienced problems over the years playing back QT on
weaker PC's. - stuttering etc,

The increasing use of broadband and introduction of the VLC player
has changed things in recent times, making mpg or DIVX delivered via
bittorrent a high-quality alternative.

The advent of the video iPod, and the podcasting method, has created
a new standard, which is mp4 running around 600kbps, downloaded for
later play. Which codec to use is a matter of choice. I've seen very good
results using Xvid but I use [EMAIL PROTECTED] w/AAC at 128kbps audio.

Your question of 'Best Codec' really should be qualified with a purpose,
- if you've been following the discussion here on google video, you'll
see that the general consensus is that for embedded streaming it's
very possibly flv in flash, but that's not much good for offline play.

I'd suggest you do, as I do, for continuity and backwards compatibility,
continue to offer real on your site, and offer a podcast of higher quality
mp4
for those that are up to speed.

A feedburner page offers an easy link to such content, see
http://feeds.feedburner.com/punkcastpodcast

joly