Also note that part of the FreeVlog philosophy is not only "free" but
also "don't host anything yourself." Thus they rely solely on third
party solutions in the tutorial (Blogger + OurMedia/Internet Archive +
FeedBurner).

If you are willing to pay for a server and wish to do more/have more
control over the process, I would definitely recommend MovableType,
WordPress as a solution. You can also host your videos on your own,
but this could get expensive in terms of bandwidth costs if your vlog
begins to become popular.

Rocketboom, for instance, now has over 130K downloads per day.
Rocketboom does not use any third party services. They pay for hosting
themselves, which is not cheap though its certainly way less expensive
than it used to be a few years ago.

-Josh