Yeah theres quite a lot of web 2.0 companies and web services
companies in general that havent quite found a proper revenue stream
yet, let alone video services and video content creators.

It reminds me of the first internet bubble in some ways, there are a
lot of services out there that have really obvious huge potential, but
its hard to turn that potential into actual financial results right
now. So a lot of the money thats flying around the Web 2.0 bubble 2.0
is from venture capitalists betting on the future.

If part of the problem is that each customer may only be giving a few
$, one answer is to look to scale, if we can just get a million users
giving $ each then we'll have a million type stuff. But here the
existing big players have an advantage, in that they have the
marketing etc and existing audiences of that size who they can reach.

I think plenty of stuff on the internet will struggle to find that
elusive revenue stream, and that quite a proportion of the internet
will be about saving money by eliminating waste & unnecessary travel &
physical products, by enabling people to communicate and collaborate
better, and other things. It will save costs and add value, but in
certain areas it can only act as a multiplier of value, you need
something else to add the value that the internet can then
multiply/build upon. eg if you already have content that some people
will buy on DVD, you should be able to decrease costs & increase
audience using the internet in 2006.

Videoblogging is probably artificially self-sufficient right now, in
that videoblogging itself is not covering the true cost of all the
services used to make it possible to do the publishing side of
videoblogging for free. My best hope for the future is that it will
become genuinely self-sufficient.

I feel that many essential services in our lives are there to offer a
service, its asking too much that they should make a profit as well.
Thats why I have a problem with privatization of various services like
water & health. So I have the same attitude towards really useful web
services. Some are probably paying for themselves via cash given by
investors, with the expectation that loadsamoney will flow in future
and much profiting can be indulged in. Some will not achieve that and
will disappear, so to guard against that my favorite services are the
ones that arent even looking to make money, just to be sustainable.

Steve of Elbows
--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Michael Sullivan