>what do you do with all the old footage after you've made your videoblog?

I've been a notorious hoarder all my life. Well, obviously not
notorious enough that you would have heard of me, but my family and
friends all know it.

When I started videoblogging, I decided to change and I made a
commitment to using only one tape and not preserving the original
footage once the video is complete. Having to move over 100 DV tapes
every time I move house, and never having watched them a second time,
it seemed a more intelligent thing to do.

This forced me to edit sooner, to make more room on the tape, not be
precious about preserving what is essentially amateur video, and not
to overvalue what in six months will be fairly valueless snapshots of
my life.

(Before someone jumps in and makes a point about reusing tapes, in DV
it is fine, just so long as you replace the tape once it starts
breaking down. Because they're written digitally, DV tapes are
remarkably resilient, and you can any errors sttraight away. My 150
odd videos of the past year or so have all been shot on the same
tape.)

I only permanently keep footage from projects that may be used
outside the videoblogging space, and for this, I save them to a CD
ROM if it will fit, else a DVD ROM. Otherwise, get rid of it!

Regards,
  Richard