I just bought a JVC GR-D240. Basic MiniDV camcorder with a good 24x
zoom, FireWire connection etc., and I'm happy with it. Very well
reviewed on the web, has a plug-in for microphone etc.

This is my second camcorder and I comparison shop very carefully
before buying electronic stuff.

I bought this in the UK for £199. You'll have to convert to your local
currency. It's a PAL format camcorder; not sure if there's an NTSC
equivalent.

Watch out for gimmicks like still photo functions involving a digital
camera memory card, outlandish digital zoom, in-camera
editing/effects. None of these is worth any extra money, although lots
of cameras have them.

After talking to a friend who's a professional videographer I would
not touch a hard drive camcorder. In some cases, popular video editing
software can't handle video from hard drive cams.

Waz.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Panasonic-PV-GS150-Camcorder-Review.htm