This trend is easily chalked up to the SNL Lazy Sunday clip, wich was
probably viewed a few million times through YouTube in the span of a
week and a half.

Of course, YouTube should not have allowed this clip to remain on
their servers as its obviously copyright infringement. I would doubt
that YouTube cleared the rights with NBC to broadcast the clip. Simply
waiting for a cease and desist order isn't really a great way for the
YouTubes of the world to look at the issue. They knew the clip was
generating huge interest and the traffic was certainly a benefit to
them.

This is not a good message for sites that try to legitimately clear
the rights to broadcast content and provide proper policing to comply
with legal standards. I know you can't always police every bit of
"user generated content" on some of these sites, but this incident was
obvious.

-Josh