I made the $14 one last spring, but I didn't build it right because I didn't have a vice at the time.  It worked for a while, but the holes I drilled were off-center in the pipe caps, so it was off-balance and I eventually retired it and used the steel for other things.

I recommend it though, and if I ever have the need for one I'll definitely just buy a vice and make it again.

I would recommend getting some handlebar grip tape, or even padded tennis racquet grip tape and applying it where you'll be touching the metal, because after a couple hours holding raw steel your hands start to hurt.

I built the longer configuration by the way, the one where you invert the attachment plate and so you can hold the camera close to the ground.  I shot some cool footage of me running down the street with the camera 3 inches off the ground, but I don't know what happened to it.

AQ