Use the round selection tool to select the part of the corner you want
to keep. Holding the shift key down, also select the other corners,
making a round are to keep. Switch the the square selection tool and
add all of the rest of the masthead (that you want to keep). Under the
selection menu, select inverse selection. Now you should have the parts
that you don't want selected -- and you can delete them (hit the delete
key on the keyboard), or fill them with black (paint bucket tool is one
way to do it). Feather the selection before you delete or fill for a
softer edge. Play with the amount of feather to get different results.

There may be another way to do this... but that's how I would do it,
and how I can explain it in a 90 second tutorial.

hope this helps,
jen