I posted this recently in the new Apple 'podcast producer's Forum'.
I don't normally cross post my opinions but I thought folks here might
have something to say about it...

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=328594&tstart=0

I am a producer of a video podcast that represents a completely
independent (no money) television show and the work of over 30
volunteers. But, it seems that we are not the kind of video podcast
that Apple likes. And so we are trying to figure out what Apple does like.

Our podcast:
"This or That!" America's Favorite Burlesque Game Show
Video blog: http://thisorthat-video.blogspot.com
Video blog feed: http://feeds.feedburner.com/ThisOrThat-video
ITunes Podcast listing:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=74172010

We were thrilled to hear that Apple would add poddcasts to iTunes and
were one of the first podcasts listed back last June. We have been
posting in the mp4 file format (video ipod compatible) since June as well.

We were also listed by mefeedia, an independent video blog directory,
aggregator, and web based player last spring. Mefeedia lists over 4300
video blogs that you can subscribe to.
http://www.mefeedia.com/feeds/
And we are listed on at least 20 other podcast directories that list
video podcasts, I use mefeedia as an example because they cater
exclusively to video podcasts.

We have never been a featured anything in the iMusic Store and are
baffled by how Apple chooses what they like. Near the top of their Top
podcast list are French Maid TV, and Tiki Bar TV. Well, folks say you
need a little titillation to keep the Apple programers happy. But not
so, we are a burlesque show with plenty of salacious activities,
visual excitement, and an explicit warning, but this does not get us
onto any of Apple's prefered lists.

Well you need to be popular Apple says (in their official FAQ listing
of what it takes to be a featured podcast). Well we are popular, just
not with Apple. On mefeedia, we are the 4th most popular video podcast
out of over 4300. But on Apples site we are below the noise floor.
(Its worth noting that the top 3 on mefeedia are not in Apples Top 100
either).

We have only 5 star reviews on Apple's site and no bad reviews (so
far) on mefeedia or Apple.

As for Apples other technical requirements, we meet them all.

Including the fact that our video podcast is "taking off". It is being
seen around the world, with a larger audience than we would ever have
achieved on public access TV or even as a regular web page.

We realize that Apple has no reason to be fair about this, they are a
corporation attempting to make money after all. If fairness (or the
promotion of home produced podcasts) was the point, Apple would simply
rotate the "featured podcasts", say every week or so, so that all
decently produced podcasts would get a chance to be seen and heard.

Apple does not seem to be in business to support or promote "home
grown" independent efforts like our own (and most of the podcast
community). They seem to have decided that the only way to make money
is to promote commercial products, like all those FOX podcasts, and
now the NBC and ABC television libraries.

The Apple FAQ states, "In most cases, we avoid promotion of podcasts
that are themselves merely promotions for other media products, such
as films or albums." But that statement is at odds with what they do
feature. If they are going to make this kind of statement they need a
new category: "Featured non-profit podcasts". There are many of us who
have produced `other media products, such as films and albums' and TV
shows that have had little success in other forms, but when they are
translated into podcasts, folks start listening and watching.

It seems this statement, "we avoid promotion of podcasts that are
themselves merely promotions for other media products, such as films
or albums", really means, "we avoid any content that might compete
with our revenue generating content".

I realize that this may sound like sour grapes on my part, but we are
genuinely frustrated here.
I would love to hear other independant podcast producers tell me I am
wrong.

Have a look at our podcast if you like.
Let me know if you have had a similar or different experience. I would
love to be convinced that I have come to the wrong conclusion.

Mark Cyr
"This or That"
America's Favorite Burlesque Game Show
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=74172010

Or maybe we just shouldn't care about Apple anymore...