The MiniDV won't go obsolete for a while. It's the Digital 8 that Paul
thinks will die soon. I don't know; I use Digital 8 with no problems.

A shotgun mic is basically a directional microphone that plugs into
your videocamera. If you find that the sound you get with the
camcorder isn't as good as you'd like, you can get an external
microphone, plug it in, and use that instead. Since you're going to
record local shows, you might consider either a directional mic
("shotgun") or an omnidirectional one if you'll have access to the
performers and could put it on the stage (an omnidirectional is good
when you have a performance type of setting, where there's sound
coming from all around you).

I would get a MiniDV camera to start and then add a mic later if the
sound isn't too great.

--Stephanie

On 2/4/06, Mrs. Ours MA PLPC <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >From: Stephanie Bryant <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: videoblogging@yahoogroups.com
> >Subject: Re: [videoblogging] Re: Predictable cam corder question
> >Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 21:41:33 -0800
> >

> >Heh heh -- I think the displayed name (Mrs. OURS Ma) threw us for a loop.
> >
> > > Too funny that.... Yahoo put my actual name in there. Ours is actually
> >my last name... and My Degree is an MA (I always put it in behind my name
> >because I'm that proud of it :-} )  I guess that makes me an "Academic"
> >just like dear old dad, but it does read like I'm an obsessed soccer mom
> >(nothing personal to any Obsessed Soccer mom's out there ;-)
>
> I've been told the Sony MiniDv's have great surround sound Via our pal Paul
> Knight.
> What is this.... "Shotgun mic" you speak of?
> Also... warnings have been made about a certain type of 8 cartridge or such?
> Do I really need to worry about it at this time or should I just get the
> Sony MiniDV handicam for now and upgrade when it becomes obsolete?
>

> Thanks again!!!!
> Lisa (Daughter of Richard of Richardshow.com)

Stephanie Bryant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Blogs, vlogs, and audioblogs at:
http://www.mortaine.com/blogs