On 8 Feb 2006, at 21:09, davecircumnavigator wrote:

> a video to the RSS feed?  I'm a little ignorant of the way all this
> works -- just started and a partner is doing the technical matters --
> but can't the video "producer" just decide to rebroadcast and point
> the RSS feed at an old piece of content, thus re-syndicating it?

Sure, you could republish the same content on the same feed, but
that's not quite what I was pointing out - my videoblog from 2002
has been and gone. I'm fine with that, because it was meant to have
a beginning, a middle and an end. If I were to continuously loop
the content on the RSS feed, however, people would be jumping in
at random times. They might unintentionally start to watch from the
middle of the story...

(Aside: yes, my videoblogs do have a narrative that spans the
episodes. This alone sets them apart from the "canonical" form that
Rocketboom et al represent.)

I've got round this issue to a certain extent by offering feeds
which have a timestamp that is generated by my feeds page. If
people subscribe manually using this feed address, then I can
indeed serve up a feed of the archived content, based on the
subscription date. A problem arises, however, with portals such as
iTMS etc. They only have the facility to  register a single feed
address, so that option becomes impossible. My only option is to
register the complete feed so that people can choose the video
episode they want to see. Again one runs into issues - apps like
FireAnt will go ahead and download all 85 files unless instructed
to do otherwise!

The above only really scratches the surface of why the current
canonical form of the videoblog raises problems for many content
producers - there are many others I'm sure, but these are already
enough to cause me concern about the assumptions implicit in it.

Cheers,

Christian
--
Christian Wach