So far, the only communication I've received from Dreamhost was an
automated e-mail apologizing for not getting back to me within 24
hours, but that I would hear from them at some point.

However, I did receive a report from an IT friend who had scanned the
server and thought it might be of interest to others.

NOTE: I am not trying to cause any problems for Dreamhost; in my view,
they provide an excellent price/value proposition, but am concerned
about the following:

---
Patrick,

I'm thinking that the first thing you will want to do is backup all
the data you can. I think that your web server has been totally
compromised. Of specific note, there is an IRC proxy service running
on port 31337 (which is 'leet-speak for elite) and a telnet service
running (Probably a back door installed for continued access). Telnet
= bad, but is especially suspicious when running alongside ssh. (Which
is a secure version of telnet)

I have enclosed a security scan of your website that was taken last
night, printed to a pdf.

Another note. This morning I found that your DNS was broken. Even if
your web site and server were working perfectly, this would still be
completely debilitating.

What is curious to me is that from what I can tell, your DNS and web
site are served through a company called DreamHost. If this is true, I
would strongly suggest moving your site to a different hosting
company. I have personally used lunarpages.com in the past and believe
that they are a very good and inexpensive solution. Lunarpages seems
to meter usage in a much more fair way than others that I have seen,
and are very helpful. No hosting provider should allow themselves to
be compromised so badly and for so long.

To the good news. . . .
<snip>