B Yen wrote:

> I've been using iMovie HD 5 the last year (just upgrade to iMovie HD 6
> yesterday, haven't played with it) with a Sony FX1 HD camcorder (even
> more overkill than a HC1).  I have a Powerbook 1.5G G4 (256mb of
> memory!?  I'm upgrading to 2G).  I also get captures at 1/4 or 1/8
> speed, to the internal HD.

I have a similar setup - except that I have the HC1, 1GB of memory, and
I've switched to Final Cut Express. It is just much better at capturing
HDV in realtime. Ultimately, it was $99 for iLife 06 and $300 for FCE,
so I opted to upgrade. Plus you get all the great filters, plug-ins,
etc. that you'd have to pay more for with iMovie HD. Having a solid
color correction filter is really starting to make my work look better.

> What FW800 drive are you using?  I'm just using a Western Digital 120G
> external (FW), to save projects in.  I think I'm getting bandwidth
> issues if I try to edit projects on this external drive: hitting
> "play" sometimes doesn't result in any playback of frames.  ??

Not sure what specific model HD I have, but I meant to say FW 400, which
is what my 12" powerbook is using. The fact that to capture to the
external drive I have to have my camera chained through the drive is
causing some bus overload, I believe. Either that, or the processor.
Ultimately, I've found that for now, converting to DV when I am doing
quick "videoblog" style work is the best option. HDV is nice to have for
certain occasions where you'd like to use the footage down the round.

> I'm thinking of upgrading to Final Cut Express, but opted to just go
> with iLife '06 (iMovie HD 6).  The latter does the job for me: quick
> out-in-the-field edits, for offroad race videos that get blogged to
> http://jumplive.blogspot.com.

iMovie is great and amazingly powerful. I think with a slightly
underpowered setup, Final Cut Express handles HD a tad better.

+nathan