--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Andreas Haugstrup"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 19:49:13 +0100, Andy Carvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> [1] Funny story: The USA didn't want to play along with the
international
> community at first (big surprise there) and only signed after thinking
> about it for 100 years (literally) in the late 1980s. There are still
> pretty insane sections in US copyright law like only being able to
collect
> statutory damages for works registered at the copyright office even
though
> copyright under the Berne Convention needs to be automatic.
> --
> Andreas Haugstrup Pedersen

At the presentation at Mashup Camp, Lawrence Lessig said that it makes
more sense as the law worked before, that you had to initiate a
copyright otherwise it was public domain.  I agree with that, intent
is actively chosen not given by default.  Right now any work that
someone would want to reuse, they would have to contact all associated
parties whether they intended it to be public domain or not.  It's an
unnecessary burden on artistic development.

  -- Enric
  -======-
  http:/www.cirne.com