--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, Paul Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> I would just like to ask some pretty straight forward questions to
> all those associated with Node 101.  This includes Michael Verdi,
> Markus Sandy, Ryanne and anyone else who teaches Vlogging.  I also
> viewed Michael Verdi's (Anarchy video from May 2005).  I don't have
> any intentions other than getting some straight answers, I would like
> you answer these questions as frankly as possible.  I need to make up
> my own mind on this and your answers will help.
>
> After viewing the Interview with Markus Sandy on Blip by 93mm, you
> (collectively) are renowned for helping people to be able to vlog,
> which is a good thing, but in the long term:
>
> 1.  What are your objectives?

To encourage people to tell their own stories; to capture images and
ideas from places around the world that don't get covered by
mainstream media; to increase media literacy at the community level so
traditional disenfranchised populations can have a stronger voice in
civic discourse.

> 2.  Why do you want to take on the media?

I don't necessarily want to "take on" the media; I just don't believe
they have a monopoly on ideas, news, culture, etc. They shouldn't be
the only game in town. Beyond vlogging, I'm very concerned about media
concentration, particularly since the FCC started reversing
cross-ownership rules a few years ago; the less diversity their is in
media, the shallower our democracy.

> 3.  How much do you charge people to go on these courses?

Most times I've done vlogging training I haven't charged anything, but
that's because I often teach in low-income or disenfranchised
communities. Other times, it's usually been an honoraria rather than a
consulting fee. But as Node101 expands here in Boston, I plan to
participate as a volunteer.

> 4.  Do you all still have jobs in the film/TV industry?

My work in the media industry has always been somewhat ancillary. From
94-99 I developed grant programs for the Corporation for Public
Broadcasting; I then became a digital divide activist at the Benton
Foundation, working occasionally on FCC media ownership issues.
Documentary making was more of a hobby than anything else; my wife and
I made a few documentaries when I was in college in grad school.
Later, we made a doc on Thai boxing and managed to get actor Jason
Statham to narrate it; we then sold it to the Nat Geographic Channel.
My wife is in the industry - she works full-time on story development
for Nat Geo; most of my current video blogging work is a hobby, though
I occasional consult and do speaking engagements in connection to my
work in the digital divide.

> 5.  How exclusive is Node 101, could I join and do the same over here?

Seems like the operating principle is The More, The Merrier.

> 6.  How do you guys actually see the newbies such as myself, without
> any media training, videoblogging?

Depends on what you mean by "see."

See as in "expect" or "imagine":

I never received any training; I'm self-taught. The great thing about
video blogging is that anyone with a camera and basic Internet skills
can do it; that's why I'm such a fan of the medium.

See as in actually watching newbies:

I use iTunes and fireant; see who's posting what on the list;
exploring sites like mefeedia, etc.

> 7.  Do you have ordinary jobs or do you actually work for or at Node
> 101?

Here in Boston at least, Steve Garfield has done an amazing job at
motivating vloggers to get together on Sunday mornings. Personally,
I've been a rather poor participant due to travel schedule and a
sudden rush of baby-supply shopping. The meeting I attended had more
than 30 people there sharing thoughts and ideas on video blogging -
all of them there as volunteers.

andy carvin
www.andycarvin.com