The problem is that there is no one format that can be viewed by
EVERYONE on all systems. There are a few that are more universal
than others. But in choosing one, you have to decide how you expect
your audience to view your material.

Do you expect your viewers to only watch your videos on your blog or
Web site?
Do you want your viewers to be able to download the videos for later
viewing?
Do you want to distribute your videos via an RSS feed?
Do you think a lot of your viewers will be watching on some portable
device like a PSP or an iPod?

Some formats can meet all these criteria for some people, others
only work well in some scenarios.

If you want your videos available to be viewed on an iPod choose
correctly encoded MOV, or MP4 formats. If you only expect the videos
to be viewed in the context of a web page Flash Video is probably
the most universal format. You can distribute most formats via RSS
but the most popular video RSS client is iTunes and it only plays
variants of MP4 and MOVs. Fireant will play almost anything. PSPs
require a different encoding of the MP4 format than iPods do.

Compression is as much an art as a science. There is virtually no
difference between encoding video from a consumer camera for the web
as there is for a professional post production suite. When it comes
to compression everyone is using the same tools for the most part--
or at least the same codecs.

There are other things to keep in mind as well. If you are posting
quicktime or MP4 files you need to know that IE breaks the fast
start in these formats. So that Explorer viewers will likely have to
wait for the entire video to download before they can watch your
movie. Sometimes this wait results in viewers clicking off the page
assuming that they can't view the movie for some reason. The work
around is to embed the movies--and that can cause problems too if
you don't do it just right.

So the answer is there is no simple answer. I recommend starting
with the Free Vlog compression tutorial and then use trial and error
to perfect your own scheme.

Bill Streeter
LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
www.lofistl.com