For the time being I just save everything to an external hard drive
folder name "Vlog."  I save a DV-quality Quicktime File, the
compressed .mp4, and the JPG still as the same name so they all appear
together when I open the folder.

I also compile the blogs in one timeline in Final Cut Pro until I have
thirty minutes worth.  I'll put them on MiniDV with a little intro and
outro like Aaron's Video Blog and the dates.  I'll make a lo-fi DVD
with iDVD and submit it to the local Public Access Channel for air.

I find this works best for me, but I usually use what I import right
away and then get it off.

I can understand the confusion if you are doing videos where you are
pulling images from an ever-growing library. In that case I'd probably
splurge on another external hard drive as my usable video archive and
batch capture and label like crazy as you say your doing. You could
create themed folders on this external hard drive like "Conversations"
"Driving Shots" "Flowers" etc.  Definitely keep raw footage separate
from completed work on your tapes.  Separate raw footage and completed
video tapes on the shelf. You sound like your way ahead of the game
already.  I can't even bring myself to Batch Capture.

Aaron Valdez
http://aaronvaldez.blogspot.com