On Mar 31, 2006, at 2:40 PM, Markus Sandy wrote:

yes, but his gallery looks a hell of a lot nicer than anything from flickr

i guess you're a function over form guy Mike ;)

You got me pegged Markus. I've lost it.

I've become all function over form, I'm a designer, I was trained as a proper designer, and yet I've been advising peter on what I call "undesigning" on mefeedia and perhaps worst of all I'm super stoked about the results. :)

...and that would explain why I'm using Apple iPhoto 6.0 to aggregat photocasts from all my Flickr ah 23hq friends when it's a beastly piece of crappy software. (Bloatware).

It also explains why I'm boycotting iPhoto 6.02 which performs much better. However it doesn't have my all important gods gift to social media the beautiful, ever-living and ever-loved permalink!

I credit FireAnt with spoiling me on this all important feature early on and I cry myself to sleep at night that I must use iTunes to aggregate videos onto my iPod. Try as I may it is no substitute.

I've even given this deamon a name. I call it meta-basterdization or bastardized media. It's what happens when media become seperated from it's vlog, blog, photocast, or otherwise looses it's metadata.  What happens when media looses its permalink.

Being as I am an uber media geek and can no loger help it I can oft be heard saying,  "Meta-basterdization is contrary to the ways of the lightnet."

And all this has nothing to do with Lan so I hope he will forgive me for taking this opportunity to de-rail this great thread with my ranting ways.

One day hopefully someone will explain to me why Apple is boycotting podcasters and video bloggers and photobloggers websites and why we're putting up with?

If you understand it please let me know. I am baffled... befuddled, a twitching clueles rage...  and I can't seem to get dialed into the "Where in the hell are my permalinks apple!" meme. I cannot find the handle on it, for if I could I would compile a hella debate on the importance of permalinks, but alas all the dissenting voices remain scattered like sticks in the wind.

Perhaps I'm not trying hard enough. Maybe I should call out "Vloggers! Photocasters! Podcasters! Unite!"
...and start a campaign for podcasters to boycott Apple.

I'm not so certain it's a completely absurd idea anymore. iTune has supported podcasting for over a year and still no permalinks.  It is no "gift horse" that I know of that behaves so arrogantly in the face of a "consumer revolution" culture. They have expend their good will needlessly, the cost is to high us, and I want my damn permalinks back!

Seriously... does anyone miss permalinks?  I feel like I'm the only one who's having a hissy fit. :)

in case you prefer other formats, here's some video:
http://apperceive.blogs.com/apperceive/2006/03/echo_park_film_.html

or some audio:
http://apperceive.blogs.com/apperceive/2006/03/echo_park_film__1.html

I'm biased of course, but i think LAN took some great photos and that's more important than the choice of player

I'm sorry Lan, Markus and whomever else I offended. I whole heartedly apologize. I didn't mean anything personal by it, I've obviously cracked and lost my handle on the whole idea of experimentation that's made this all possible.  I guess somewhere between the grassroots community and companies like apple caching in on podcasting and vlogging and photocasting something always gets lost in translation. There is some formulation of a standard that has been missed. Perhaps if I issued a license for my RSS feed and got others to do so also stating that my RSS can only be used if proper attribution is given in the form of a permalink we could then file a class action suit against apple to finally get them to acknowlege they are being not figurative, but actual bastards. I appologize for the use of that term, but it is infact the proper term. My media is without parents. :(

In my defense I did immediately yesterday "flickr friend" Lan, favorite a bunch of his photos, make several comments and subscribe to his photocast feed in iPhoto (6.0.0!) so I'd never miss another one of his photos again, nor the ability to fav and comment on them.

i guess the best answer is "photocast" and then you can pick your viewer of choice

then you can watch them in fireant or something

Exactly!

I've been bugging Josh K. about true photocast support in Fireant. It would make a GREAT photocast tool, but it doesn't support JPEG enclosures, nor Media RSS (mRSS) yet. Please note, I'm speaking strictly of the mac version. Not sure about the Win version which I haven't had the pleasure of using in a while.

I'd like to point out that Nathan over at openvision.tv is developing I/ON to support photocasts, though it's still in beta.

I've also created a photocasting group on Flickr, though I have yet to announce it.

It's part of my ongoing obsession in developing discussion around all areas of podcasting... audio, photo, and video. Please feel free to join up. I can't promise you much but I can promise you big beautiful highres photos in your photocasting aggregator, if only my own. :)

but then flickr would have to get it's RSS feeds together (they suck - they ignore creative commons based searches)

Hmm... I think you may be right. Their media RSS support is a very good start in my opinion. I'm VERY pleased with their initial implementation, but there are still a few eccentricities that must be worked out.

In summary, I'm sorry for using Lan beautiful photos and this thread as a touch point to discuss my "issues" of form and functionality and hope that my ubergeeking can be forgiven by all of our mutual love for the almighty permalink that truely does bind us all.

Peace, and amen.

-Mike
Evangelist of the church of the permalink, by order of the way of the lightnet. :)

mmeiser.com/blog
spreadthemedia.org
mefeedia.com
Lover of Ant and Blip and Webjay and ALL the true free ways of the lighnet media-verse.

LOL

Damn, I miss the loss of vlog group time. :)

Michael Meiser wrote:
Happy to see the get togethers.

No offence Lan, but I found your slide show viewer a little silly.
The navigation was hard to use because of the scaling and it kept
moving as the picture format changed, also there were no captions and
most importantly there was nowhere to comment so I could tell you how
much I like your photos.  If I may suggest Flickr or 23hq.com or some
other such photosharing site in the future, I'm sure you'll get loads
of comments and discussion. Also, that way I can mark you as a friend
or subscribe to your RSS feed so I'll be sure to recieve future
photos from you.

Peace, and thanks for posting the photos.

-Mike