Please note that "HDD" and "HDV" are not the same. The original question
is about HDD cameras - Hard Disk Drive, i.e. tapeless cameras. Sony just
announced a new $1000 HDD camera which competes with JVC's Everio line.
This is quite handy because you just copy files instead of capturing from
tape. These cameras is *not* high definition, however.

HDV refers to High Definition Video on miniDV tapes. I also have one of
Sony's HDV cameras, the HC1. Most of the time I record in high def but
downconvert to DV to make editing go faster.

chuck
mnstories.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "toekneearm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been producing an online series using Sony's HDV cameras and while it
> drives us
crazy
> in editing (go for a long lunch renders) it has several advantages. There is
> more
> information for the compressor to work with which appears to make a
> difference. I had
> cut some DV 16:9 footage into a program and even after compression you could
> tell a
> difference.

> --- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "legrandmagistery" <magistery@> wrote:
> >
> > We're thinking about starting a vlog. I read on Gizmodo the other day about
> > Sony
> coming out
> > with an HDD Handycam (the DCR-SR100). After reading about that, I also
> > discovered
the
> JVC
> > already has a couple on the market (the Everio G Series). Do any of you
> > currently use
an
> HDD
> > camcorder? What are the advantages? The cameras seem a little more
> > expensive, but
we
> > wouldn't need to invest in any tapes, discs, or any other media, so it
> > seems pretty
> appealing
> > and ideal for doing a vlog. What do you think? Any and all help/opinions
> > would be
> greatly
> > appreciated as I'd love to get this thing going asap. Many thanks in
> > advance!
> >
> > P.S. If not an HDD camera, what other kinds of cameras do current vloggers
> > use that
are