I believe that they are. I think the intent of VLC is to be a good all
around video player that can play all known and available formats. I
don't know if they've fully achieved this but they've done pretty well.

As far as your original question goes, there isn't a good answer.
There isn't one good fool proof video format that is the absolute
best. MP4 comes close but not close enough. And if you are doing MP4
there is the question of which MP4 to use. There are a lot of versions
of it and lots of different audio/video codec combinations you can
use. I personally am doing ipod compatible Quicktime files for the
moment and flash video for embedding on my site. But I'm in the
process of rethinking everything right now and may end up doing about
4 formats each with their own feeds. WMV, MP4 (ipod and PSP
compatible) 3GP and Flash. So there ya go.

Bill Streeter
LO-FI SAINT LOUIS
www.lofistl.com

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, "Harold Johnson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes, that was it; thanks.  Do you know if VideoLAN Client is planning on
> continuing to support Windows Media formats in its Mac client, even
though
> Microsoft is discontinuing it own support for Apple's platform?  Just
> wondering if you know...
>
> Harold
>

> On 4/5/06, Charles Iliya Krempeaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > (As far as I know...) VLC == VideoLAN Client.
> >
> > So you are using VideoLAN.
> >

> > See ya
> >

> > On 4/5/06, Harold Johnson < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > >  Good to know.  I think I'm using VideoLan on my Mac at home.  I
think.
> > > (I may just be using VLC right now; I forget.)
> > >
> > > Harold

> > > Or you could suggest to your uses that they install VideoLAN --
http://www.videolan.org/

> > > (VideoLan supports playing Ogg Theora, as well as almost every other
> > > video format.)
> > >
> > > (There actually already seems to be quite a large install base
for this
> > > already.  So there's probably more people who can watch Ogg
Theora movies
> > > than you expect.)
> > >

> > > See ya

Powerbook