One aspect of all this that I find interesting is that the MSM itself
often gives links to such clips hosted on YouTube or whatever, without
mentioning that the existence of that clip in that place is in fact
illegal - I suppose because it's a convenient way for them to
illustrate a news story without having to get permission to host the
clips themselves. This could easily mislead the public to assume that
whatever they see posted online is therefore legal - "But I saw it in
the New York Times!"

I'm also seeing a lot of stories about TV shows made up of clips found
online. I can't see them myself since I'm not in the US, but I wonder:
are the producers getting permission from the clip owners? I know that
Tivo has a deal with Rocketboom and Akimbo with Steve Garfield, but
those are running as series. Have any original clips from
videobloggers been shown on TV and, if so, with permission?

Some of my own work is shown on an obscure satellite channel on Sky in
Italy, with my permission, by nessuno.tv. I don't have Sky so I've
never actually seen this and don't know how it's presented, but I
include my URL in the credits, so hopefully I get a bit of traffic
from it...

--
best regards,
Deirdré Straughan