For what it's worth, Anne and I are digging our new Canon ZR500.  It's firewire interface to the pc/mac, not usb, takes mini dv tapes....slight noise from the motor, but it does have an external mic jack.

I did a bit of leg work before buying it and from what I found, it performed really well against others in the entry level.  Especially in the low-light scenarios.  It was ~$500 Canadian (with the firewire card and taxes)

The last 4-5 vlog posts on byteme (http://8bitme.blogspot.com) were done with it.  Only had it work a few days, nothing to complain about it so far.