If bandwidth is a financial concern to a vodcaster, then they prob should not be vodcasting.
They prob should not be doing any promoting of their videoblog and stay out of directories and aggregator services.

Courtesy... well, it can be argued that someone who re-hosts your video out of courtesy for bandwidth is also removing that video from your radar.... no tracking data if its something you care about.... and that seems to often be discouraged, both by people and by licenses.

I would suggest that those who want to prevent bandwidth shock at least make it clear in every post and in every video and through the site that they encourage re-hosting that media with an attribution link to the source site/permalink.   You also would be responsible for having proper license to allow others to re-host the media or make it public domain.
You cannot encourage people to violate a license.

Else, it is the publishers responsibility to add an access control layer to the media.

If that is not done... if that effort to send a message to anyone who may be thinking about linking to your video... then it's fair game.  You published media on the Open Internet and that means you are giving public access.

period.

sull

On 4/12/06, Pete Prodoehl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Nerissa (TheVideoQueen) wrote:
> If you link to videos that I host and pay for bandwidth then you are stealing bandwidth.

One of the problems is see is that some folks have the above opinion,
that others are stealing their bandwidth. If this is so, is the correct
solution that people should copy your video to their server and provide
the bandwidth for it? That would upset the other half of the folks, the
ones who get upset when someone copies their video to their own server
and would prefer they just link to their video, so they can track it and
see the stats...

So what's the solution that will satisfy both groups?

Pete

--
http://tinkernet.org/
videoblog for the future...