Bravo! I'm very glad to see you're doing this. Much of my vlogging
work over the last year has been documenting technology use by
disenfranchised groups around the world. I'm also working with Martin
Luther King Elementary in Atlantic City to teach vlogging to minority
students. (www.acroughtcuts.com)

I haven't seen any good demographic research on vloggers as of yet,
but the data on bloggers in general is clear. According to
Pewinternet.org, the average blogger is white, middle class, educated
and with at least six years of Internet experience. Hardly a picture
of diversity.

As far as I'm concerned, blogging, vlogging and podcasting won't make
a major dent in improving society until it becomes more equitable, and
more disenfranchised groups have access to these tools to capture the
stories that _they_ want to tell. Everyone should have a voice, and
that takes a lot of hard work from those of us fortunate to have
access and the skills to help them along the way.

You may want to check out the USA chapter of my new book, From the
Ground Up:

http://www.andycarvin.com/from-the-ground-up.pdf

It talks about the role of community media in giving voices to
disenfranchised groups, using Lowell Telecommunications Corp as a case
study.

Meanwhile, check out some of my videos from India, Ghana and
Bangladesh; they examine local digital divide and community technology
initiatives:

http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/video

Thanks,

andy carvin