ironic.  i just wrote a private message to some people that has this idea very much in mind!!

On 4/25/06, Andy Carvin < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
This situation is a classic example of what happens when a member of a
community (including a relative outsider) makes a decision that goes
against the cultural norms that community. These norms are usually
left unspoken, but active members of the community have an implicit
understanding about what's kosher behavior and what's not.

Coincidentally, over the weekend I blogged a great talk by Professor
Eric von Hippel from MIT's Sloan School. He researches the norms of
different cultures and communities, specifically regarding to how they
react to intellectual property. The bulk of his speech focused on an
amazing study he and a colleague did of A-list French chefs, and how
they react when their recipes get passed around. They have an unspoken
set of rules that allow people to use each other's recipes as long as
they're given credit for it, and they don't disseminate it to other
chefs without permission. And when chefs flagrantly copy someone
else's recipe without due credit, the community response is both swift
and harsh.

http://www.andycarvin.com/archives/2006/04/how_do_french_chefs.html

I know this is kinda apples and oranges compared to this situation,
but I thought it has some similar vibes....

andy

--- In videoblogging@yahoogroups.com, robert a/k/a r