On 4/25/06, Andy Carvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> That would be the Rollercoaster Effect. We ride rollercoasters because
> we want to be scared, while knowing in the back of our minds that we
> won't crash and die. This kind of fear with no physical consequences
> can be fun. Emotional shocks to the system are only enjoyable when
> they have the subconscious acknowledgment that what we're experiencing
> isn't real. Watching a person get killed in a movie or a video game
> can be enjoyable because we know in our heart "it's only a movie." But
> when we don't have that assurance, the experience is confusing,
> stressful, helpless, horrifying. And finding out we've been played
> makes it worse.

And yet millions of people have watched videos of real people being
really beheaded. (Not me - it's an impulse I totally don't understand,
I don't like to see violence even when I know it's fake.) And back in
classical Rome, real horrible violent death was entertainment for the
masses.

--
best regards,
Deirdré Straughan