hmm my experience with bluehost has been excellent.  I had a miserable experience elsewhere and bluehost has been great.  They have people who actually answer the phone and will actively work with you on any problem.

I've not had any issues with email or hosting.

YMMV

Its a shame to hear others have had poor experiences with them, they've been great for me.